- 1 cup quinoa
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 medium-sized beetroot, peeled and thinly sliced (or coarsely grated)
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks (or coarsely grated)
- 150g curly kale, tough stems removed and leaves finely sliced (about 2 ½ cups)*
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 8-10 dates, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup chopped roasted almonds
- Combine quinoa, salt and water in a small pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce heat to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for 5 minutes.
- Toss beetroot, carrots, kale, dates, pumpkin seeds and almonds with cooked quinoa and dress with extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and red wine vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
*Tip: toss kale with the olive oil, lemon juice and vinegar in a large bowl and gently massage the kale by rubbing it between your fingertips. This helps soften the kale.