This salad is substantial enough to eat on its own, or as a side salad alongside lean chicken, meat, or fish.
~500g of pumpkin
1tsp ground turmeric
1tsp ground cumin
1 cup of uncooked wholegrains e.g. quinoa, brown rice, freekeh.
Shredded leafy greens e.g. spinach, lettuce, silverbeet
100g feta cheese cubed
1 x red onion sliced
Handful of sunflower seeds
Handful of pumpkin seeds
If you have a tin of chickpeas or brown lentils, they can be a nice addition too.
2-3Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
¼ cup Olive oil
Juice of one lemon
1Tsp wholegrain mustard
- Cut roast veggies into 2cm cubes and place on a roasting tray.
- Sprinkle turmeric, cumin, and a drizzle of oil over roast veggies. Bake at 200deg for ~20 minutes or until roast veggies are cooked and soft.
- Cook quinoa or brown rice in a pot: add 1 cup of grains and 2 cups of water. Bring to the boil, and then reduce to a low simmer with the lid on. Cook until water is absorbed and rice or quinoa is nice and fluffy. You may need to add a little more water if the grains aren’t cooked yet but the water has all absorbed.
- Once the pumpkin and grains are cooked, add them to a large mixing bowl along with feta cubes, shredded leafy greens, red onion, and seeds. Mix well.
- Mix dressing ingredients well in a mug and pour over the salad before serving.
- Enjoy 🙂