As you know, the playground at Waikirikiri Playground is being replaced and Gisborne District Council want the community to contribute to the design process.
Sport Gisborne Tairawhiti, along with other local organisations Gisborne District Council, Ka Pai Kaiti, Ngati Porou Hauora Puhi Kaiti and Hiringa Matua, Cancer Society Gisborne East Coast, Papawhariki, SuperGrans Tairawhiti, have been collecting ideas from the community about what they want in their new playground.
Where are we in the process?
We’re about halfway through. Since October, we’ve attended a number of events and schools in and around Waikirikiri Park to ask tamariki and their Whanau, what their dream playground would look like.
Who have we asked?
- 375 people have contributed to the park design, either through the survey or in person.
- We’ve attended sessions at 2 primary schools (with one more to be scheduled) and listened while close to 100 tamariki drew and sculpted their dream playground.
- We’ve left survey boxes and posters in popular settings in and around Waikirikiri Park.
- We’ve used facebook and instagram to share the message, reaching 25,000 Gisborne residents, predominantly targeting those in Kaiti.
- We’re still asking people, attending events and promoting the online and paper survey. We will continue to ask the community until it’s time to prepare the feedback to give to GDC.
Where to from here?
- 11 February — Community Co-Design evening
- 1 March — Community insight / co-design ideas presented to GDC by Sport Gisborne Tairawhiti
- Early March – Design/Build Acquisition Process undertaken, based on insights from community.
- 16-27 April (school holidays) — Designs presented to community and feedback sought
- Mid May — Design finalised
- Late May/ June — Building commences on playground
It’s all leading up to a Community Co-Design Event!
11th of February, 3-6pm, Waikirikiri Park
On the 11th of February we’ll be co-hosting a ‘Whanau in The Park’ day with Ka Pai Kaiti, where we present to the community all of the information we’ve gathered so far, and put the finishing touches on your input. On top of this, there will be music, food, a bouncy castle, face painting, giveaways and more!